Monday, September 24, 2007

My Favorite Cognates- La Bieramide. (that and an update about La Reole)


Well, I haven't updated in a long time. But I have a good excuse. Maybe two. I have a ton of mixed emotions about things, and more recently, I have been quite busy running around Bordeaux. Since my last post, I have moved to my charming little village of La Reole- sat in my enormous and free room, and have wondered what the hell I was doing in France. At the same time, it really doesnt get much better than what I have going for me at the moment... And I do what I can to keep that at the forefront.

Its absurd to think that I am living in France, making decent money, and doing so for free. It doesnt seem right. La Reole is a charming place. The trainride into town last tuesday went through some beutiful wine country. I was pleasantly suprised with how hilly it is. That is until I tried getting my luggage into town. Oh well. The town is very picturesque, and the school is at the top of the hill overlooking the river. tres jolie. Since my arrival there, everyone has been so extremely nice to me. It really is so amazing. They have provided me with a place to stay for free- my own room in the boarding school, with the keys to access everywhere else I want, I am quite fortunate. While the boarding school itself doesn't have an adjoining kitchen, I am intitled to meals at the school for a mere 2,40 E a meal, which are really nothing like school food in the states. The teachers and I drink wine with them! Sweet.

I've met many of the students, and we had a good time figuring out the best and most expedient way to communicate- with varying success depending on the topic. But they have been nice, and its been fun for the most part. Despite all of their openness to me, after a few days, I came to realize that I have nothing really to do in the town- as the job doesn't actually begin until October 7.

The language gap began to wear at me, and I began to feel more and more out of place since I had yet to take on any official capacity in the school, I started to get a bit bored, and a tad bit timid. I hope that my timidity didn't rub people the wrong way at the school, because they are more than wonderful , but I think that it caused me to keep from updating my blog...

So, as the weekend approached I planned on spending it with my friends in Bordeaux. The great thing is, my English teacher at the school lives in Bordeaux, and he even drove me into town- they really have gone out of their way to help me.

Since Friday I have been back in Bordeaux hanging out with Evan, and meeting new assistants in town. Although I had to spring for a hotel for the weekend, since no one had moved into an appartment for me to crash at yet, it was worth it to get to meet everyone. My first night in, Evan and I watch France DESTROY Ireland in rugby 25-3. During which we did the only appropriate thing and drink some Kronenbourg- the only decent French beer. Voila- la photo.

I stayed at an awesome and yet affordable hotel in Bordeaux from Saturday night to Monday morning which came complete with a kitchenette and cooking equipment--- and sketchiest of all-- the maid hadn't been to my room before i checked in, so there was food in the fridge. Salmon chunklets, and two chicken fillets. I hadn't as of then been able to show of my culenary genius, so this gave me my chance...

My friend Carolyn had some rice on hand... so we attempted to make a lunch of salmon and rice, with some fake butter (also from the fridge) as the only seasoning. I'm pretty sure that there's better catfood to be had. However dinner was a bit better, with the help of wine, galic salt and some bread, the chicken was pretty decent i guess. Niether of us got sick, which I suppose is the best that could have happened.

I have met with about 7 assistants in Bordeaux now, and its nice to make connections and be able to speak English, but I suppose it will make going to La Reole again a bit harder. Though I can feel that my French is getting better every day. Forstalling my return there, and because it seems neccisary to travel some before the job starts, Evan and I are traveling to the city of Pau, in the Pyrénées to see some more of the country before we begin our jobs. There will be pictures I assure you. That and I am sorry it has taken me so long to update. Don't hate me.

2 comments:

la mama said...

good to hear again! The cats would like to try your salmon dish.

Anonymous said...

Talk about looking gift horses in the mouth--but some second thoughts come naturally after an uprooting to such a different place. And I've no doubt that you can find plenty to do to dispel idleness and boredom.

Shouldn't a true bieramid be a little more three-dimensional?

Send pix.