Thursday, September 13, 2007

moi, je suis americain.

I have heard that you can spot a tourist because they are always looking up. If thats so, than thats just another way that I can be identified. My french is a bit rusty... as the woman who took my lunch order found out. At one point I made the claim that I arrived in France tomorrow- the laws of physics seem to disagree.

But things are generally pretty agreeable. I met with one of the English teachers at my school, and he has been extremely helpful with everything. Apparently, my school can offer me a place to live at the bording school if I so choose. The teacher, Pascal, who I met with advises me to commute from Bordeaux, which is what he does. However, I think I would much prefer the convenience of living in La Reole and then doing the commute into town whenever I want the city atmosphere. We'll see.

I'm scheduled to meet with everyone at the school on tuesday at 11ish, hopefully I can make my way through the train station decently. Unfortunately for me and Evan, we don't have hotels lined up from Saturday through Monday night. I suppose thats what is on the agenda tomorrow.
If everything goes the way that I want I will start living in La Reole soon, so hopefully I won't be living out of hotels. That would be nice. Then I will actually feel like I have a life here, and will be a little less touristy...

Well, thats all for now.

2 comments:

Beth S. said...

Hi Mitchell,
I am copying onto this an excerpt from a newsletter from the son and daughter in law of friends of ours that are missionaries in Paris (a little older than you, mid-late 20's) so that you can contact them if you want and for you to read an interesting bit about "clubs", at least in Paris, that they use to get to know the locals more intimately. You might ask at your school if there are such clubs in your town ....... just a thought. love Aunt Beth

from Brandon and Crista Bowen:
17 rue Louise Besquel
94300 Vincennes France
(859) 215-0005
brandon@bowenmail.net

Thank Goodness August
has passed!
Last August we must have been so distracted
by language school that we did not notice how
utterly dead our town was. This year, now familiar
with our community, we were shocked! With the
exception of the grocery stores, nearly everything
was closed or had limited hours. Why, you may
ask? Well, August is vacation month, of course!
Everyone in Paris (at least the French in Paris)
stage a mass exodus from the city for several
weeks. Th is means that our lives pretty much
stopped for the month. We are 99% certain that
at one point, we were the only people living in
our apartment building!
With September’s arrival, life has returned to
‘normal.’ Schools have re-started, clubs have
begun their annual sign-ups, and businesses have
re-opened. In our last newsletter, we asked you
to pray for the September club sign-ups. Th ank
you for your prayers. Though Christa has not yet
found a local club, Brandon is getting involved in
the town’s photography group. The social clubs
here are means by which many of the French
people meet others who share common interests.
Our prayer is that relationships formed in these
groups, will develop into opportunities to share
the Gospel. We are excited to see what God will
do through him in this venue.

Anonymous said...

republish determines hierarchical reseller evaluationit prondzynski kkyk andrea thoseunable beginners centres
masimundus semikonecolori