Wednesday, October 17, 2007

When I Was Yellow

Just a small update this time, I think.

I like teaching. Its pretty fun. Of course, I only have groups 1/3 or smaller than a "real" class- that and we are doing such simple things that I really have no idea what teaching is actually. But I like what I'm doing. Whatever it is. So, in class- we have been playing vocabish grammary type games, which the kids seem to enjoy I suppose, and it gets the job done.

My strategy these days is to go somewhere. Anywhere, but somewhere else on the weekend. Because La Reole is a bit slow. Bit slow. Last weekend I was in Bordeaux, and really had a great time. The one issue was that England had the audacity to beat France in rugby. I might be the most Anglo person in the world to have been saddened by the game, but I've gotta keep up apperances of course.

The game experience was pretty awesome though. They have some huge tv streams set up in downtown Bordeaux by the river and the place was packed and the crowd was very lively. I watched the match there with some other assistants, almost all of them from the British Isles... guess who they were rooting for? We had a box of 6 bottles of wine (Bordelaise of course) which we made short work of, particularly me and my Irish buddy, Rob.

In other news, the Spanish assistant at my school pretty much illustrates the difference between Europe and the United States. Me, I speak a bit of French and for the most part can communicate. Hmm. Yeah. However, she kicks my ass any day of the week she choses.

Upon arriving, she found me and- as is natural in this country- begins speaking to me in French. I do my best, but fail pretty decently. Finally, exasperated, she says "can I please just speak to you in English, I really need to know what's going on here".

Thats right! She speaks English, French and Spanish perfectly. Why not me? Hmm. Well, maybe by the time I leave. We'll see. But she's been very cool, and it's nice to have someone else around my age with whom I can hang out with. That and because of her, I have the courage to explore the townie bars, without feeling completely awkward.

I need to plan what I am doing for the upcoming All Saints holiday, nine days from now. Paris for sure, and maybe a trip to Sweden. We'll see.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mitchie,

I am so glad that you are feeling at home in France! Bill will be happy to discuss Rubgy with you the next time that you are home. I went to mom and dad's this past weekend to throw Margie her bridal shower. It was a lot of fun and Margie's new house is amazing! We will miss you a lot at the wedding. I am doing well in Pharmacy school, but I am really looking forward to Christmas break! You are so unbeliveably lucky with your living set up! Life doesn't get any better than that! Have a great week!

Love,
Jennifer

la mama said...

Always good to hear stuff mon fils. Glad you have someone your age there - does she live in La Reole too?

love,
you know who

karyn said...

i'm glad that you're keeping a journal of your life overseas. imagine how glad you'll be when you are able to look back on how you felt.

i'm encouraged by what you've written about your experiences in the classroom, especially what you said about one class going well and the other poorly, even with the same lesson. i have 70 students spread over three classes, and i am constantly amazed at how differently they react to the material.

teaching without a language barrier is difficult enough--i can only imagine your situation. please keep blogging and allow me to live vicariously through you.

bonne chance avec tes etudients!
karyn

Anonymous said...

Sorry not to have chimed in lately, but I continue to enjoy your postings.

la mama said...

time for a new posting....

Anonymous said...

Listen to la mama

Anonymous said...

maybe 'Noles win will inspire a new posting.

la mama said...

ditto UJ

Anonymous said...

Will horrible FSU loss inspire a return to the blog?